Re: playing in tune on diatonic

Iceman wrote:

>If you play (for example) the 4 hole inhale bend by pulling it down until the
>reed won't go any lower in pitch (bottoming out, so to speak), the note you
>create is flat by as much as 20 cents.

I addressed this very point in the discussion about retuning the
auxiliary reeds on the XB-40. It is actually possible to bend the
notes considerably more than 20 cents flat. Depending on the harp, you
can bring it down to more than 50 cents flat of where it should be -
and sadly I have heard people do just that.

Practising with a tuner is a start, but better still would be studying
with a good teacher, or using something like this:

http://kellysmusic.biz/productinfo.asp?id=-1354992847&aff=5999-03-093-03

 -- Pat.