Re: XB-40 Retunings?

jazmaan wrote:
> I'm still thinking about retuning possibilities for the XB-40.
> I'm thinking that the beast might be more controllable if some of
> the whole note bends were replaced by half-note bends.

When Rick Epping was asked about this issue at SPAH2003, his response
was that bends should be approached by taking the note down to the
proper pitch, not taking the note down to the limit enforced by the
relative pitch of the responder reed.  Apparently, his research while
developing the XB-40 showed that the pitch of a bend wasn't limited
by the responder to *precisely* a semitone of its pitch, so that the
practice of just bending a note down until it stops bending doesn't
give a precisely pitched note.  The XB-40 was designed to provide
more flexibility in the bends, and not as a sort of augmented
standard diatonic, but it requires some additional discipline to
fully exploit the possibilities.

- -tim