New Hohner Chromatica 263

Help, Harp-Lers,

=20

I just bought a Chromatica 263 (not chromonica, this is the glissando =
harp).
35 x 2 holes, top row blow, bottom row draw, same note in each pair of
holes.  If you isolate top or bottom hole you can bend.  I can overblow
already in the middle of the range.  Using tongue blocking, I can get =
close
harmonies up to a major third, maybe a bigger mouth could get wider
intervals.

=20

Problems:

=20

the reedplates stick out past the comb, maybe 1/16 inch, about the width =
of
the white part of a fingernail, making it very hard to get a good seal =
with
tongueblock.  It doesn't seem to affect pucker for draws (bottom row), =
but
blow bends leak out the sides, and so far I can't get overdraws.  The =
comb
is, effectively, recessed between the reedplates.

=20

Between pair of top and bottom holes there are half-round gaps, as if =
the
makers intended top and bottom holes to combine together into a single
U-shaped chamber.  I assume this makes it more difficult to isolate top =
or
bottom hole, but the recessed comb makes it hard to be sure whether =
these
gaps are actually a problem.

=20

There are four screws (two top, two bottom) holding the covers to the =
comb.
They are not in the way of the pucker embouchure, but lip-tearers for
tongueblock.

=20

Note: the reedplates appear to be nailed to the comb.

=20

Solutions:

=20

File the reedplates down until they're flush with the comb.  Only solves
problem one, recessed comb.

=20

Build up the comb with some wood- and skin-compatible material.  Solves
recessed comb and half-round gaps.

=20

Cover the four screws with wax, or hot glue, something smooth and also
removable.

=20

=20

I don't have the skills for any of these except the hot glue.  Sure I =
could
file the reedplates down, but they need to be extremely fine when =
finished,
no burrs on the lips please.  And to be close to the comb, the new =
reedplate
edges are going to be very close to the front edges of the covers.

=20

I could fill in the front with beeswax and then drill out all of the =
holes,
which is starting to seem like a good idea.  I know it's normally used =
for
sealing combs, but it seems as if it would work for adding thickness.  =
And
it's not permanent (is it?).

=20

Or, it being a wooden comb, can I expect it to expand to fill the recess =
as
the wood absorbs moisture?

=20

And maybe there's some functional aspect of the recessed comb that I'm
missing, and would be lost with any customization.

=20

Any thoughts?  Thanks for your time,

=20

Barry Groves