RE: Slow power-up on black face vibro champ

If it hasn't been plugged in for five years, I'd say it needs a cap job.
New tubes would be a great idea too, but may not be absolutely necessary.  A
cap job for a VC is probably $75 or less.  I'd highly recommend, also, the
new JJ 6V6 tube, but there are many, though more expensive choices, in NOS
tubes.
Hambone

>From: AldenFarmboy@xxxxxxx
>To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Slow power-up on black face vibro champ
>Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:59:47 EST
>
>Hi,
>     I have a chance to buy a Fender black face vibro champ amp from my
>uncle,
>but I'm worried about something. When i turn the amp on, it takes about 10
>seconds before i get any sound out of it with my mic. After that it's o.k.
>and
>sounds great. Is this normal for an old amp like this ? Would new tubes
>help ?
>I think it's from 1966. He said he has not plugged it in in about 5 years.
>Any
>help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dream of owning a home? Find out how in the First-time Home Buying Guide.
http://special.msn.com/home/firsthome.armx