Re: perfect harp amp.....

Harpmac01@xxxx wrote:
> yes now lets hear some thoughts on what you cats think the perfect
> harp amp should consist of.

One thing that's important to me for the gigs I play is to be able to
get a variety of sounds.  For that reason, I chose not to go the
classic tube Fender route, and instead built myself an amp that fit
my needs.  It consists of a cabinet housing a pair of Weber P10Qs and
three racks spaces that hold a preamp, effects unit, and power amp.
With this combination I can dial the sound I want and the set the
volume independently, making one amp suitable to a number of
different "sized" gigs.  I also have a built-in mic to allow the amp
to be remic'd through the PA for larger gigs.  I use a couple of
outboard stomp boxes, which gives me a huge variety of sounds.  The
amp is small enough and light enough to not be too inconvient to
transport, and it has casters on the side to facilitate that, and it
has a 120-volt outlet in the side for the effects units.

Some folks have outlined some of the benefits of playing through
preamps/amp modelers into the PA.  There are a couple of
disadvantages, though for some they may pale in comparison the
advantages.  I have played with vocalists who didn't like having much
harp in the monitor mix, as they felt it conflicted too much with
them hearing themselves clearly.  Most PAs will have more than one
monitor mix available, so you might be able to work with the sound
man to get yourself out of this situation.

Believe it or not, I have also played gigs at places that didn't have
a soundman or occasionally even a PA.  Admittedly these are usually
jams and such, but be sure before you get there that your
expectations match the reality of the gig.

- -tim