Re: Perfect harp amp

Of course there is no harp amp that's "perfect" for everyone. I can say,
though, that I've settled on an arsenal that's perfect for my sound and
situation.
I have a small Champ-like Marble Max amp from FNS Technology, a Dutch amp
maker. This little sucker has one 8" speaker, a tone knob and a volume knob.
It pumps out more volume than a Fender Pro Junior and I have virtually no
feedback problems. The nice thing about this amp is that is is richer and
bassier than most amps this size, which often do that one
screaming-overdrive sound wonderfully, but nothing else. I've used the Max
for jams and duo gigs, but also for big gigs - miked, of course - with a
large band (horns, keys, two guitars, etc.). I used it at an outdoor
festival on the same stage where, the day before, James Montgomery played
with Johnny Winter. Montgomery used a Twin Reverb provided by the promoter.
Knowing that, I was really intimidated setting up my dinky little Marble
Max. But once I'd sound checked to ensure I was getting enough sound coming
back at me through the stage monitors, it wailed. I got a lot of compliments
on my sound. I also used my Max sitting in with the Kinsey Report when they
played here in Prague. I had to laugh before the concert when I looked at
the stage and, from left to right, there was the keyboard player's cab and
Leslie, the guitarist's jumbo Marshall stack, the drum kit, the bass
player's huge cab, and finally my itty bitty Marble Max with an SM-57 jammed
in front of it! Again, though, I was able to hear myself via the stage
monitors and I got a lot of nice compliments from the Kinsey brothers.
As to the other part of my amp "arsenal," when my Max is too heavy to tote
around (LOL!) I take my Harp Commander instead. As I've written here before,
I love the sound of this thing. I love that I can use the HC through a PA
and sound "amped," no matter which mic I choose (I've used it with all my
mics: SM57, SM58, 545S, JT-30 w/ Shure CR element, EV re10). And I love that
the Harp Commander fits in a shaving kit along with a mic, cords and harps.
Living in a big city and not owning a car, I get to and from all gigs via
the bus, subway and/or tram, so lugging around a huge amp is out of the
question. I honestly don't know that I'd ever even consider going back to a
4x10 amp that weighs 50+ pounds. With the Max and Harp Commander, I've got
tone to the bone on the go.
MN

Get some great ideas here for your sweetheart on Valentine's Day - and
beyond. http://special.msn.com/network/celebrateromance.armx