Re: [Harp-L] Re: Bob Dylan

<<I think this attitude that "the harp is a lead instrument, not an
accompaniment instrument" is a bit off base.>>

My point was not that the harp can't be played chordally, but that
it's more difficult to do that than to play melody leads, whereas
strumming basic chords on a guitar to accompany yourself is quite
simple. The harmonica equivalent of "strumming" is not Sonny Terry
style chord playing (I don't know that there is a guitar equivalent to
that at all, but if there were, it would be a rhythm monster like John
Lee Hooker) but simply breathing in and out on 1-2-3. That's just
plain annoying.

Dylan is perfectly capable of playing beautiful melody leads on the
harp when he puts his mind to it, but I've never heard him do any kind
of chord/rhythm work.

Ken

--

Ken Ficara