[Harp-L] Re: Digitech Effects RPx400

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:50:10 -0600, Broussard, Craig <Craig.Broussard@m> wrote:

> Hello Fernando,
>
> I too play harp and sing and was looking at the Digitech effects units and
> thought maybe you can answer a few questions.
>
> Is there a reason you went with the RPX400 instead of the VX400?

Because I didn't know there was a VX400? Seriously, I went straight
for guitar stuff, and didn't consider voice effects. Now I see that
voice effects make sense, maybe more than guitar effects, because of
the frequency ranges.

> Can you get a "dirty" overdrive amp sound out of this unit? If not have you
> tried miking an amp and using this input to the Digitech?

Amp modelling was very important to me. I have only one preset on the
unit, which I use for blues. I didn't have much time to set it up
right, but it worked yesterday. The other preset is one with all
settings turned off, so that I can test different effects/settings
independently. But I am happy with the sound. Not very good yet, but
with a lot of potential.

I don't think I would ever mike and amp an put it through the
Digitech. I would put the digitech before an amp in the chain. But my
goal is not to have to own an amp. But I'll use one if necessary, if I
don't have a PA available or if I want to use it as a monitor.

But my philosophy is to have each thing do it's thing:

++ a clean mike to capture the sound (although I admit that using the
Shaker Mic made my blues sound better)

++ an effects unit to transform the clean sound into what I want

++ a clean amp (or PA) to amplify the sound that has come out of the
effects unit.

This way I should be able to work with common equipment (nothing
vintage, rare or even unreplaceable) and model the sound for different
contexts (musical as well as venues).

But I still have to work a lot on the RPx400, and that's why I would
like to get in touch with other users, also from other Digitech units
with similar effects.

Best regards,
Fernando