[Harp-L] Re: Talking Harmonica

Chris wrote:
I was just listening to the Salty Holmes' "Talking Harmonica" song
that was at the end of the CD that came with the Sonny Terry Licks
book by Tom Ball (which is an excellent book).  I think this sounds
pretty cool and was wondering if anyone knew of any other recordings
of talking harmonica.  Just curious.
___________
and Bill added:
I don't know of any other recordings featuring this, but the one you speak
of is amazing.  Lots of people can do this sort of okay, but his really
soulds like he's talking.  I love listening to that tune.  Actually, all of
the Tom Ball instructional CD is good listening, even if you're not actively
practicing.

Firstly, thank you both for the kind mention, and for picking up my books -- makes my day! :)

There are indeed several other examples of "talking harmonica," but in my humble opinion, the Salty Holmes track in question ("I Found My Mama") is the best of the lot -- particularly the laughter, which I have NO idea how he does. I can tell you that it's a Bb diatonic (standard tuned) harp, though, for what that's worth.

Holmes recorded two or three other similar tunes, but the talking wasn't as well articulated. Of course many harpists have done "Mama Blues" (Sonny Terry, Doctor Ross, etc, etc) but it usually comes out sounding more like "Wawa" than "Mama." There are pre-war examples as well, both in the black blues and white country traditions, but when it comes to truly articulating spoken words, I haven't heard anyone who approached Salty.

Incidentally "I Found My Mama" was also re-done years later by Eddy Manson (and his wife) -- on a *chromatic* harp! The solos (in between the talking) are great, but in my opinion, the talking part does not rival Holmes' version.

In any event, thanks for the kind words, and happy harpin' to all,

-Tom Ball
Santa Barbara CA