Re: [Harp-L] Jon Gindick Jam Camp in Atlanta

Jam Camp? I was very skeptical about these "harp schools" but at Doc Alters' urging I went to the Anaheim Jam Camp in October, and I am really lucky I did.

I am not a very academic or cerebral harp player, and I don't play much out of 2d position, don't yet know overblows, don't mod my harps, but I manage to get invited back to jams and sit-ins so I suppose I can say I am competent at blowin blues harp. And of course I don't know squat, my learnin' has all been by just playin' and listening.

So I was wary of "going to school." But I was glad I did: The Jam camp approach was very focused on individuals, the fundamentals and sharing among players. So the program, with the watchful eye of Jon Gindick and the attentive traffic-management of Mark Wilson, flexed and warped to ensure all students got what the needed, while the students shared so much info: from newbies with neat ideas, to old blowhards like me who've been sucking gobiron for more than 30 years.

And the teachers were not only each quite effective, they all had very diffferent approaches, which added great dimensionality to the program. And some spectacular jams!

No, I get no commissions, I just really appreciate Jon Gindick's approach, he has a fine team who put lots of warmth and thought into the workshops, no matter how skilled you are, you would benefit from the experience.

Hey! An Idea! Jon, would you consider having a camp in Froggy's area next year, in the South of France? Froggy, do you think he could fill 35 seats? I bet he could. Jon, the Euro/Dollar exchange rate would make this a very very good business proposition for you, and I would certainly offer my assistance, as I'll be in the area!

Hm. Ok, I guess I am trying to benefit from my plug! But it's heartfelt anyway...

-Dave Fertig