Re: [Harp-L] Re: Microphones (& maybe an amp)?

Get a decent PA... and a Shure SM58 Mic...
A superb mic and GREAT for acoustic harmonica!
Acoustic harp just needs a "clean" amp and a decent Microphone....
ELECTRIC style harp benefits from more "distortion"... For that an Astatic
JT30 or equivalent, and a Fender tube or *valve* amp. This gives a "rough" and
beautiful "fuzzy" sound.....
Best wishes
John Walden

Hi John

Relying as I do on bog-standard gear for my sessions, I'm a bit of an ignoramus when it comes to mics etc. Can you tell me whether the SM58 can be hand-held/cupped....or does it have to be on a stand because of noise from handling/any other reason?

Cheers

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
Steve's CD of mostly traditional Irish, "Blowing Through The Reeds," is now available! Hear clips at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm