[Harp-L] OT: learning to sing?

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I figure enough of
you sing as well, you may be able to help me out.

I'm interested in learning to sing.  I sing along with
the radio all the time, and sing to my kids as well,
but make no mistake...I am very very bad.  I probably
do everything wrong.  I'm off-key and wavery in my
normal voice.  I'm off-key and thin when I go high,
and There's a huge hole in between the two, and my
voice is not partiularily pleasant in either case.
Maybe I'm a bit too hard on myself, but you get the
picture.

I dont ever plan on making a living in music, but I'd
like to be able to sing well enough to sing blues and
play harp at open jams.  I'm wondering what kind of
difference singing lessons can make.  Is it worth
pursuing?  Can anyone learn to sing passably?  Is
blues any harder or any easier than other genres?
Have any of you gone from ubelieveably bad to decent
(or better), and how did you do it?

RoyG