Re: [Harp-L] RE: what else do you do?

I've been trying to make a living as a professional musician since 1966 when
I dropped out of College to "go on the road"... Spent a few years playing in
various bands, mainly working in Europe playing harmonica and singing blues and
rock & roll... At the beginning of the 1970's, it got harder and harder to
get gigs playing blues... So I giged playing "heavy metal" or as we called it
then, "progressive" music....
But gigs got harder and harder to find. My father was an accountant, and ran
his own accountancy practice... He said "Come and work for the family firm...
Just for a few months until you 'make it' with your band"....
So I became an accountant, and that is what I have done ever since... I also
started collecting qualifications, the pinnacle of which was to achieve my
doctorate in business administration (DBA) and I'm currently working on a PhD in
my spare time as well. Just for fun.
So I work in the day sorting out tax matters, and in the evenings and at
weekends I play my harmonica. But I DO take time out from the "day job" to go on
tour playing my harmonica, when I get the chance!
>From time to time l also lecture on accountancy and business studies.
One day I shall succeed in my ambition, give up the "day job" and make enough
to live on from my music!
John Walden
London
England