Re: [Harp-L] Re: Non-blues diatonic players

I would ad to the list:
Michel Herblin (France)
Rory Mc Leod(UK)
Eric Chafer(France)

Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jonathan Hill wrote:
"I'm looking for a list of diatonic players that really stretch the instrument.
I love the blues, but in my current band there's just not a whole lot
of room for blues licks. Basically I'm looking for players that use a
variety of positions and play in a variety of non-blues contexts (and
since Popper does everything that I've ever heard in second position,
he doesn't count)."

Jonathan,

You may wish to take a listen to the pieces available at my website at:
http://www.hunterharp.com/mp3s.html

There are a half-dozen of my full-length mp3s there. The pieces are recorded in a variety of positions on standard and non-standard diatonic tunings, including Country-tuned and Natural Minor. Most of the pieces are solo acoustic harmonica, recorded without overdubs. I think you'll find them to be worth your attention. They're certainly not the usual, and because there's nothing but a single harmonica in the mix (except on "How Long Have I Loved You, where there's an acoustic guitar too), it's pretty clear what the harp is doing at all times. Shorter samples of my electric work can also be found there, along with a full-length RealAudio version of my piece "Put The Lever Down," a very heavy chunk of electronica recorded (mostly) in 3rd position on a Dorian-tuned diatonic, released in 1981. These pieces, like the solo pieces, use diatonic harmonicas in some pretty new ways.

I also recommend that you listen to a band out of Conencticut called "Fivewise." They've just released a CD, and the harmonica work on it beautifully played. That guy could teach a lot of organ players plenty about how to use a Leslie.

By the way, Popper plays frequently in 1st position, live and on record. I heard him live in a performance at the University of Vermont in 1994, and he opened up with a solo in 6th position (A minor on a C harp). When I talked to him after the show, he told me that he never intended to do so, but he picked up the wrong harp and had to play something. It sounded like he knew what he was doing to me. Those on this list who make a point out of bashing Popper at every opportunity might take a moment to ask themselves whether they could put a convincing solo together in 6th position on a moment's notice.