Re: [Harp-L] temperament considerations

In a message dated 8/31/2004 1:17:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
paul_bowering@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Those old blues recordings sound good to me but
the the guitar is equal temperament no?
The "slightly out of tune" in a blues context is part of the "blues sound".
This music wasn't based on "correctness", whether that be correct pitch or
correct form. It was based on emotional feel. Sometimes the guitar, although based
on equal tempered tuning, was also a bit out of tune.

2) If I want to play a combination of single note
lines with some chording can I get away with this on
an Equal tuned harp? Are the chords really that bad
and is a light temperament a better option for this.
You can get away with this on an Equal tuned harp. The Just Tuning is an
advantage, however, if you do sustained chording like Kim Wilson does in his
signature 20 minute solo vamp/groove/solo (which is wonderfully captured on that
SPAH 98 Blues Blow Off VHS Tape Series).

3) Some on the list seem to imply that overblowing is
pretty much for jazz/extended positions playing and
therfore is more at home on an Equal harp. I hope not
because I'd like to incorporate some overblows into a
traditional blues context using a Just harp.
Listen to how Carlos Del Junco does this in his early duo recordings. As has
been mentioned on this list before, the 6 Hole OB is the upper octave note of
the 3 Hole Inhale First Bend. The blues ideas played on the lower holes can
now be transposed up, which is a good starting point to develop your own
original voice using traditional blues + OB's.

The Iceman