Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2004 and moving forward!????

In a message dated 8/29/2004 11:39:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Still, much work is needed in between the:

Diatonic vs. the Chrom/Bass/Chord camps.

I spoke with alot of senior players that felt that the 'Diatonic' guys have
taken over "Their" convention...feeling slighted in some ways. It's too bad I
told them because, if SPAH does not grow with the new players...it will just
fade away and end!

   This is only going to be a successful merger if both sides REALLY respect
each others contributions, not look down upon them as inferior forms.

    SPAH, has gone out of there way to provide equal time, space and
spotlight for both camps, so why the beef?

This reality is one that is close to my heart, as I worked hard with Bob
Williams and the BOD during the years 96 - 2000 to deal with just this specific
concern.

We were tremendously successful in our approach and philosophy.

For instance, the audience at the Blues Shows (especially the 98 Blues Blow
Off featuring Kim Wilson) was a packed room equally attended by young long
hairs and old white hairs. (Some of the amateur videos shot from the back of the
room in 97, 98, 99 and 00 show the large body of white hair indicating older
members in attendance.)

Of course, the philosophy at that time was focused on quality sound
reinforcement and the best back up musicians who were appropriate for the music, as
well as BOD real time hands on relationships with the sound/video engineers and
musicians as the convention unfolded.

The sparkle was in the air and it attracted the big names as headliners and
as guests - both diatonic and older chromatic.

For instance, in 1999, St. Louis Saturday Night Banquet, Rick Estrin showed
up for dinner in order to listen to and meet Blackie Shackner. Charlie
Leighton, (Mr. Reclusive), came to the conventions and even performed in 2000.

Young diatonic harmonica players were always featured. Sunny Girl was
developing as an artist in front of the attendees, both young and old. As a matter of
fact, she was the major draw that helped unite the two camps.

The Saturday Night Banquet Show was shortened and a Swing Dance (w/sit ins by
the Chromatic Players) was added. The BOD philosophy at the time was,
everyone will be tired of sitting on their butts after all the shows, clinics, and
dinner, and would love to move around. A Swing Dance was part of the old SPAH
conventions from the 60's, many members had asked about it over the years and
the BOD listened and responded. That Swing Dance was the most highly
complimented addition to the convention (by the older Chromatic/Bass/Chord attendees),
according to the feedback received and the looks on the faces of all the
dancers, who, for at least that evening, were young again.

After 2000, a new BOD took over with a different philosophy. I attended the
2003 Convention and was depressed by the change. The Blues Show was loud and
in-your-face. I didn't see any crossover in the audience - it was only the
diatonics. The Convention was sharply divided into two camps. Many asked me what
was going on - where are the Blackies, Sunny Girls, Leightons, etc?

>From the feedback I received from those at 2004, I understand it was more of
the same, and getting worse.

Of course, I'm sure it was a goodhangwithyourbuddies affair, etc, but it
takes more than this to keep the original ideas intact.

<<The SPAH charter states in the 'Aims'
"The object of this organization is to cultivate, develop, foster,
preserve, promote,educate, advance and improve the art of harmonica playing
and the harmonica generally"

"The promotion and stimulation of a true fraternal feeling among the
membership as a whole">>

An organization and convention is a direct reflection of those that are in
charge. I want nothing more than to see that magic return, but wonder now if it
is almost too late to turn the tide. All I can suggest is to look back at the
time when the magic was there, analyze what was done to create it and head in
that direction. It was a proven success. Adapt a successful philosophy, update
it a little to account for the change in time, and run with it.

There was never a need to reinvent the wheel.

The Iceman