[Harp-L] Re: Wiring a mic

Robb asks:
>Can someone please tell me the PROPER way to attach a
cable to a microphone??? Many times [I've ruled out
the too long cable working as an antenna] I've tried
to attach my newist favorite shell to my newest
favorite element and ended up with everything GREAT- -
-untill, with certain [most] amps they'll take on a
huge HUM. Here is my question: I have an element with
2 leads. I have a cable with 2 wires. How do I connect
them? If I'm suppossed to solder one of the cable
wires to the shell; how do I decide which wire, and
does it get connected to anything besides the shell??<

The hum is due to the shell not being properly grounded. Your cable coming into the mic has a hot lead and a ground. The hot lead is connected to the tip of the 1/4" connector on the amp side. That wire should go either right to the hot side of the element or to a volume control, nowhere else.  The ground needs to connect to the shell and the ground side of the element. Drill and tap a hole in one of the bosses inside the shell for a good ground.
For an Astatic type element, it's easy to tell the hot from the ground. The hot will be insulated from the element case, and the ground is connected to the case. For Shure type elements, the ground is usually on the left terminal.