[Harp-L] On wiring mics

"lprice@midwestmicrophone" <lprice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"... Now the next thing you need to do is connect the bradied sheath AND the second wire (usually Black) if there is one, to the sleeve portion of the connector...." and later correctly pointed out "...This is a generalized account for most mic wiring there may be a myriad of components and configurations..."

I can tell you that the Shure 520D is an exception to the rule above. At least the one I got - the element (made in Mex. controlled magnetic) has 3 wires - blue, red, black. They were wired to the built in cable, red to red, black to shield, and blue to black. The guy I bought it from had someone put a connector on the cable so I don't know how the mic came wired from the factory. But mine came with the black wire soldered together with the shield at the connector ground (as suggested above) - output was almost non-existant. In this case, the black wire should be left DISCONNECTED - it is there to allow external re-wiring of the mic to low impedance.

/GH