Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2002 IN COLOMBUS

I can only speak for myself but my post Spah exhaustion is significant. The person who will actually put up the vph archives is Ben and I think he's about as tired as I am. While I appreciate Jack's faith in our abilities I think his projection of a couple of weeks for the time frame might be just a tad optomistic. Currently I'm sticking with eventually. Just migrating the list was hundreds of hours of work. I cannot recall but I think the Spah 2002 stuff will end up being in the vph set of archives. That does bode well for its future inclusion. It's all in one chunk and not too garbagey so it will most likely appear next. It's the later garply stuff that's going to be work. For the curious here's what's up with archives. We have it all but some of it is really badly formatted and will require either a lot of labour or some clever programming to recover. There is an upside, we also have the former hard drive that harp-l used when we were hosted by garply. We don't know if it's alive but it does boot and seek without going nuts, all good signs. I'm assuming the archives are on this drive and intact. Unfortunately this drive was shipped to me with inadequate packaging so it could be damaged. I am hopeful because the drive autoparks its heads which minimises the possibility of damage. I'm currently awaiting cabling, it's a SCSI drive. Formatted in HP Unix no less. Once the drive is installed in a Linux box and all the hardware is working the fun begins. I have to get the files copied onto something that's portable or connect my Linux box to the net but we're talking a very big file and I'm dialup so I think it's copy the files. Anyone having any experience with this kind of stuff in a Linux/Unix environment who is interested in helping can contact me either at this address or at owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxx

In the meantime what to do if you want archive access? Try www.harpamps.com, there's a nearly complete set of archives on this site. The search has problems but if you know where in time you're looking it's not too bad to locate what you're after. Another source of more current stuff is www.groups.yahoo.com once you're there search for harp-l-archives. More than 2 years of stuff there. The older stuff slowly disappears but it reaches back to before Spah 2002. We are working on getting this solved, see above. It is a priority. Since we won't be diverted by a crashed system or broken list with virtually no help I'm thinking we'll have a lot more spare time than we did last year. (fingers crossed) As long as everyone plays nice and stays out of onlist conflagrations work should proceed apace. I know it doesn't appear that anything is happening when there's an acrimonious conflict on the list but this kind of thing really eats into my free time. WE do have several list management tools at out disposal that we previously lacked so even this should be better but just let me imagine that don't make me try them out. No implied threat, just a plea for peace. fjm