[Harp-L] Wiring a mic

Can someone please tell me the PROPER way to attach a
cable to a microphone??? Many times [I've ruled out
the too long cable working as an antenna] I've tried
to attach my newist favorite shell to my newest
favorite element and ended up with everything GREAT- -
-untill, with certain [most] amps they'll take on a
huge HUM. Here is my question: I have an element with
2 leads. I have a cable with 2 wires. How do I connect
them? If I'm suppossed to solder one of the cable
wires to the shell; how do I decide which wire, and
does it get connected to anything besides the shell??

Sorry to you anti-tech/gear guys, but this is driving
me nuts. Many thanks,
Robb