[Harp-L] Disaster

Sorry about the crosspost. You know how I try to tell you in a light-hearted way about how wonderful Cornwall is - especially North Cornwall, with its peerless coastal scenery and King Arthur associations, not to speak of the wonderful acoustics in the "gents" in the Tree Inn....Well, today we have had here the most terrible disaster. What was just about the most beautiful of our old fishing villages, Boscastle, which is 10 miles from my home, has been completely devastated by a sudden and unexpected thunderstorm that dumped two inches of rain on the river catchment in one hour and caused a wall of water to sweep through the village. The only mercy so far (it's early days) is that there don't appear to have been any deaths. On national television tonight I saw footage of a torrent of water sweeping through the Wellington Hotel, the pub in which I learned all the hard lessons of playing the harp in public. All that past was being washed away in a few seconds.

Fortunately, my house is on high ground, and I was able to watch the storm, fearfully, through the window, wondering what havoc it was wreaking elsewhere. My worst fears were confirmed when I switched on the TV later.

I'm normally a big, hairy-ass kind of fellow, and I apologise for sharing this. Any member of Harp-L or HarpTalk (who can prove it!) will get free beer all night if they show up round here!

Yours, tearfully,

Steve

Steve's CD of mostly traditional Irish, "Blowing Through The Reeds," is now available!
Visit http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica

It's fast, it's easy and it's free. Get MSN Messenger today! http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger