[Harp-L] Blues Junior Tubes 1 more time

<quote>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:16:47 -0500
From: Gary <gary@xxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Blues Junior Tubes 1 more time
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

I know this has been asked before, but I never paid attention because I
didn't have the amp.  Now I have a new Blues Junior amp, and wish to get a
horn-like sound out of my harps.  I fully understand tone is 80% me and 20%
amp, and I want that 20%!  The 80% still has a way to go  :).
I bought a load of  older 12ax7's, 12at7's, 12au7's and (4) 12ay7's.  Will
someone tell me which to use where? (V1, V2, V3).
Also, if someone wants to share my bounty of the tubes, except for the
12ay's, drop me a note.  $8.00 each plus actual cost of shipping and a
shipping box.  These are older tubes (I think) and are NOT in boxes.  I can
take PayPal if anyone's interested.
Also, I'm saving up for a speaker replacement; I kept an e-mail from
Barbecue Bob about his recommendation for that.

Gary Cohen   ||   gary@xxxxxx
</quote>

The Fender Blues Junior is a very popular amp among NZ gigging Blues
harpers.
Even with standard 12AX7s you can get a great sound from it.

Personally I prefer not to use anything lower than 12AT7 for tube subs.
With the Blues Jr the first and second preamp tubes are the ones to sub.
You
could try a 12AT7 12AX7 combination, or try two 12AT7s.  But leave the 3rd
tube alone.

  The auxilary speaker out from the head can either be plugged into
Behringer Ultra DI 100 (with both pads/attenuators depressed) and feed to
the PA with a balanced XLR cable.   Alternatively you can buy a second cab
for your blues junior and plug it into the auxilary out to get more size and
volume.

  The Blues JR recifier is solid state, but as this is a small amp, the
rigmarol of getting it adjusted and kitted out to fit a tube rectifier has
little return for the pain - I understand there are kits about, but I like
the tone of the Blues Jr even with stock setup - tube subs merely give you
more head room for finer volume and tone adjustment.

-- G.
http://tinyurl.com/suit/amplified.html