[Harp-L] Re: overdrive pedal dor harp

phcabrit@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> i want to buy an overdrive pedal (boss?) .... i use a tube amp but i need
> something to increase volume and drive when i do some solos....
> some one here can help me?
> thx

First, because 1) taste in distortion varies a lot from player to
player, and 2) particular mics and amps produce sound very different
with different distortion pedals, I would recommend that you not buy
anything unless you've had a chance to try it with your own mic and amp
and liked what you heard.

The issue with any distortion device is that it's just as likely to
produce feedback as it is to boost your tone and volume. I've used a
number of devices, like the DOD Heavy Metal Pedal, that produced an
amazing sound in the studio, but only a wall of feedback onstage.

That said, I'm very fond of the Digitech RP200, which is an amp modeler,
not a distortion device per se.  You can find four patches for this
device, optimized for harp, at my website at:
http://www.hunterharp.com/effectset.html
You might consider taking your rig to the local musical instrument
store, plugging an RP200 in between the mic and the amp, and trying some
of these patches.

You might also consider looking at your tube amp and figuring out
whether you're getting everything you need out of that.  With more
headroom on the tube amp, a simple volume pedal might do the job.  Tube
substitutions could be the answer, and they're not expensive.  More
distortion may not be the answer; when you crank up the distortion, you
may just find that no one can distinguish the sound of the harp from the
guitars anymore.