[Harp-L] Re: My first chrom!!!! :)

>snip<
> My first chomatic has arrive this afternoon (a Hering Velvet Voice 48 -
model 1148). Of course I was anxious to give a try, just to feel the sound
and I found out that it is pretty hard to make hole 2 sound right, blowing
and drawing. Is it expected to be normal and a simple matter of skill or is
it a problem with the harmonica?

Though I don't seem to remember having this problem I have heard it is well
documented and a phenomenon nobody was quite managed to explain (at least to
me!). He's rather busy at the moment but Douglas has had experience with
this more than most of us as he's taught a lot of people the harmonica. I
remember him once asking me whether I had problems with that hole, and I
remember answering that I had problems with the whole lower end of the
instrument!

I think Keith is right that you should maybe try to breathe your nose at the
same time but you could maybe try experimenting with different shapes of
your mouth, though the common belief is that you should have a larger mouth
cavity for lower notes, the theory doesn't always work :))

All the best

Jamie