Re: [Harp-L] re: groove

At 13:56 09/08/2004, Bob Maglinte wrote:
It's MUCH easier to teach people notes to play, but FEEL and GROOVE, is a
lot different, and too often many music schools, including many very well
known ones, really fall short in this area. Too often, the popular notion
that if you can play Jazz or Classical, you can play anything, which ideally
because of their complexities, SHOULD be true, but there are many times
where that isn't, and it is NOT saying they're bad musicians, which would be
the quick, knee jerk reaction, but the thing of learning feel and groove is
just an entirely different set of skills. Finding TRULY versatile musicians
that have an understanding of groove and feel so that whatever genre they're
in, having whatever they play sound like they BELONG within the context of
what's going on without question, is much more difficult, and even those
versatile types are always going to be better at certain things than others.

This the first time I have seen this expressed so well.
Boiled into a tight nutshell Bob has said

'ANY music can only be played as inspiring communication if you are into the genre with heart and soul'

It is NOT just a blues thing, or a jazz thing, it works with classical musicians too although many don't believe it! Music is music, and it doesn't move you unless the musicians are being musicians and not just technical wizards going through the motions...
I prefer my musicians going through the emotions.

Thanks Bob

Douglas T