[Harp-L] Re: Diminished Tuning

Will wrote:

>Anyone have a suggestion as to how to make a diminished harmonica out of an existing 10-hole diatonic?   I just finished retuning a Richter (only successfully enough to get me hooked).  I'm looking for an easier way out.  Otherwise, I'll have to wait until Christmas and see if Santa can bring me one.

I am assuming you mean the typical diminished tuning most often used
on diatonics - draw notes two semitones higher than blow notes,
adjacent reeds three semitones apart.

The easiest way to do it is to start with a solo tuned instrument. If
you have something like the Hering Master Solo, most of the reeds only
need to be retuned by a semitone.

Another easy, but less satisfactory solution is to take two draw
reedplates and mount one of them to function as a blow reedplate. For
example take the draw reedplates from a standard A harp and retune it
to D F G# B D F G# B D F - ie raise draw one by 3 semitones, raise
draw two by one semitone, lower draw six by one semitone and lower
draw ten by one semitone. Then take the draw reeds from a G harp and
retune it in the same fashion. Mount the reeds formerly known the G
draw reedplate on top of a comb with the reeds facing downwards with
the A draw reedplate attached normally and you will have a diminished
tuning starting on C. I say this is less satisfactory as I generally
find that the physical orientation of the reeds in this arrangement
can sometimes cause the bent notes be a little less stable than they
should be, but it will at least give you a feel for how the diminished
tuning works.

Alternatively, take you A harp and retune the draw reeds as above,
then retune the blow reeds as follows - raise the first reed by three
semitones, the second reed by two semitones, the third reed by two
semitones, leave the fourth reed as it is, lower the fifth reed by one
semitone, the sixth reed by one semitone, the seventh reed by three
semitones, the eighth reed by four semitones, the ninth reed by four
semitones and the tenth reed by six semitones. It can be done, but I'm
not sure I would recommend this an easy first project for someone
getting into retuning.

Of course, the best way to do it is knock all of the reeds out of the
reedplate and start from scratch with new reeds.

 -- Pat.