[Harp-L] Re: Yet Another Juke Question[long reply]

Hey Howard,

--- Howard Chandler <chandler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Alright, now I'm a bit curious and this applies
> pretty much to blues harp guys.  How many of you
> folks are playing these songs note for note
> and how many are keeping it loose.

When I play "Juke" I'll play the head and maybe the
first go-round note for note, but then improvise
for the middle bits. I'll signal the band when I
want to go to that little break, which I generaly
play note for note. Then improvise for a few more
go-rounds.

I like to end Juke note-for-note as well, and for
two reasons:
1) I really like the swing Walter puts on that last
part, and;
2) when the band hears me play that phrase they
know it's the last time around and we're gonna take
it out.

> What do you prefer hearing when you go out to
> hear bands.  "The" harp part, or the harp player?

If you're asking whether I'm looking for the harp
part in the original or what the harp player is
doing, I have to say the latter. If the guy's good
and has something to say, I don't give a noogie
whether he/she is playing note for note. In fact, I
appreciate a bit of creativity more, as long as
it's good.

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
---Li'l Ronnie Owens