Re: Goodbye Bob, Hello Woody

- ----Original Message Follows----
From: fjm <mktspot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Molitor, Stephen L" <Stephen.L.Molitor@xxxxxxxx>, harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Goodbye Bob, Hello Woody
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:28:55 -0700

>It's probably Sonny Terry playing harp.  He played harp on most of Woody
>Guthrie recordings that have harp.  Great stuff.  Chance to hear Sonny
>Terry playing in a different, more countryfied setting.  He adapts
>wonderfully.
>
>Steve

The assertion that Sonny Terry played the harp on most of Woody Guthrie's
recordings comes as a surprise to me.  He played on~some~ but I've always
thought that in most cases it's Woody.  If you listen to the Library of
Congress recordings, when it's definitely Woody, then compare the style
there to that used in the same songs on other collections, it sure sounds
like the same guy.....

Steve Shaw

Want more than the blues?  Try Irish!
http://mysite.freeserve.com/trad_irish_harmonica