RE: Bob Dylan etc...

Eric,
         I agree with what you had to say about Dylan's playing. He's been
satirized throughout his career, and I think some people, yes, even some
harmonica players equate the characterization to Dylan's actual playing.
He's got a lot going for him, and I'm talking just harmonica here, obviously
he's a major star, and has a great musical legacy sans harp.

          One of my cannons of great harmonica playing (and probably most
would agree I hope)is developing a style that is recognizable and associated
to you. Now one might fallaciously argue that every lousy harp player has
his own style, and therefore is unique. I've heard hundreds of harp players
at open stages who don't know how to operate the harp, and never have I
thought, "gee that guy is horrible he sounds just like, Bob Dylan."   All of
those "bad" players basically sound the same to me. They almost bend most of
the time, and they over-play, and they definitely distract from the song;
rather than add to it in some meaningful way. Dylan isn't any of those
things, and he's all that you said, and your words are worth repeating.

    "His harmonica playing is usually soulful, played from the heart, serves
the song and the band, and furthers his artistic vision.  He usually has
the audience hanging on his every note and he usually forms a solo in a
way that is oddly structured, totally idiosyncratic, and probably
baffling to most harmonica-heads.  IMHO - the solos are often brilliant
and beautiful and the equal in terms of artistry of any harmonica
virtuoso esteemed by this list."

    It's all about the song. People who think Bob Dylan is a bumbling,
tasteless amateur on harmonica need to put their ears on. He's no "Little
Walter,  but hey Little Walter was no Bob Dylan when he backed-up Shel
Silversteen either.    Best regards,
                                                                       Allen