Re: Goodbye Bob, Hello Woody

Steve Shaw wrote:

> Now I know that Woody Guthrie wasn't the world's greatest harmonica
> player, but neither was he the greatest guitarist (to say the least)
> or singer.  But to me he is magic - his best songs have words that
> seem to cut right through and go straight to the heart, with a lot
> less bitterness and polemic than a lot of other "protest" singers, and
> more than a touch of poetry at times.  And his singing and
> harp-playing, though modest, worked perfectly in the service of the
> music.  He didn't record in the era when it was possible to do much
> polishing-up of recorded performances, and he sounds rough around the
> edges at times.  But even though he's a"hero" to many British folkies,
> during the couple of years I've been on the lists he's had only scant
> mention.  I wondered whether he was something of a prophet without
> honour in his own country, or whether we simply we don't discuss him
> because his harp-playing wasn't of the first water.
>
> Steve Shaw

Guthrie played harmonica and mandolin better than guitar.  There's some
harmonica tunes on his Library of Congress recordings that are
surprisingly good.  He also had a pretty full sound playing in a rack.
He was Bob Dylan's harmonica inspiration.

- --
Hear Barrelhouse Solly--that's me--on the web.
http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly