Re: Re: Harmonica that ruins a song

> I'm not going to name names, but I've heard many a piece where the harp
> player, however good technically, was just out of place in the context of
> that particular song.

Let's see, Tchaikovsky's "1812" Overture on a harmonica.  nope, can't see it.

> And, controversially taking it a step from there, I'm more and more of the
> opinion that since harmonica is not as versatile an instrument as say, piano
> or guitar,

!!!!!  I agree with the piano half, but GUITAR!!???  "1812" on a guitar, nope,
can't see that one either.

> it's also nice in a given set or record to have a couple of songs
> sans harmonica. In my gigs (very occasional unfortunately these days), I
> always try to have a bunch of numbers where I won't play harp. Either I just
> sing or I leave the stage to the other musicians. The audience loves it (I
> think).

It's always good to have a complementary blend in the music.  30 minutes of
basically the same music, even with different titles to the pieces, gets very
old.  Definately not something you'd want to come back to any time soon.
Throw in some variation in rythm, lead, and instrumentation and you have
regulars bringing in guests each week.

My 2¢.
MB