RE: The fine art of vamping

Scorcherwrote:
> When most of us think of fine harmonica playing, names like Adler, Bailey,
> Bonfiglio, Clarke, Cotton, Horton, Portnoy, Paparozzi, Piazza, Sebastian,
> Shackner, Smith, Terry, Walter, Wells, Williamson Wilson, and Wonder (and
> legion of others) come to mind, right?
>
> Well, most of these maestros (most of the time) play accompanied music.
Even
> if they play(ed) the harmonica as a "featured solo" instrument, their
> accompanists fill-in the parts that they're not playing. In fact, the way
> harmonica is ~usually~ played sounds a little incomplete without a guitar,
> at least.
>
> But there is a style known as vamping that is intended to be
UNaccompanied.
> In fact, an accomplished vamper can do some pretty impressive things with
> harp all by him/her-self!

I'd like to see a definitive definition of vamping.  If you mean the
rhythm-harp based techniques for filling in between melodic passages, I am
right wichya.  If not, please explain...

> (And wasn't the Richter tuning scheme ~designed~ for vamping?)

That's what I've some to understand.  That and getting as wide an octave
range into 10 holes as possible.

> So who are the skillful vampers today?

Peter "Madcat" Ruth, for one.  Phil Wiggins is also a rhythm harp master.
Billy Branch can rock with rhythm harp.  Peg Leg Sam's vamping, though not
contemporary was beyond description.  If you wanna learn how to do it, Peg
Leg's "Kickin' It" is an excellent CD to play along with.  Anytime I mention
Peg, I have to include a link to an on-line video at
http://www.ibiblio.org/hardluck/.  Must viewing!

> Where can I look to learn more about
> playing a harmonica as a purely solo instrument?
> Could any of y'all suggest some study / listening material?

Try Madcat's "The In's And Outs of Rhythm Harp" video.  Excellent, but not
easy.  It's not on vamping per se, but he teaches how to establish a
baseline rhythm and then venture out into melodies and licks that return to
the baseline rhythm.  Very entertaining, too.  Madcat can hold a crowd
spellbound all by his lonesome.

Michelle