Re: question for recording buffs

In a message dated 4/26/04 2:07:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mbrogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
My band is doing some recording withour 16 track Fostex VF 160 recorder.  I
got a great harp tone using a Shure 58 in front of my amp.  we then switched to
a condendensor mic, and a SM 57, and could'nt recapture the sound.  I'm going
back to the 58, but am not sure if it was a fluke.  we also have a Shure kick
drum mic to try.  Any thoughts?  The tone I got was almost like a muted
trumpet tone.  Great for swing tunes.  the other tunes don't have that bite.  You
can write me off line, as not to waste other's time.  thanks.  bullfrog
Bullfrog,

This deserves to be on-list, so I am posting it here. a good rule in the
studio is if it sounds good, don't mess with it. The Shure 58 is fine microphone
for recording and if it is capturing the sound you want demand it be put in
front of your amp. I always hear lots of griping from people about microphones
and how all the high-end microphones are way out fo reach for the common
recording enthusiast, but I have to say that much of that is crap. Entire albums have
been recorded with just the Shure 57, and much of the mixes of those came out
fine. Like George Martin said "All you need is ears." Stick with the Shure 58
and you will do fine.

Andrew