Fwd: RE: Can't get enough of Stevie

Last Saturday I awoke to an NPR feature on film composer Henry
Mancini - Saturday would have been his 80th birthday. A new CD of his
work has been released, and features Stevie playing Moon River, the
harmonica feature from Breakfast at Tiffany's originally recorded by
George Fields for the film score. It sounded like Stevie was actually
trying to pay tribute to Fields' rendition instead of being flat-out
Stevie, even though full-strength Stevie would have been a more
interesting take on the tune. You can probably still access the
program at the NPR website.

As a Mancini aside, I believe William Clarke once recorded Mancini's
Pink Panther Theme originally written for saxophonist Plas Johnson,
and Joe Filisko once did an interesting group harmonica stunt using
the Peter Gunn theme.

By the way, there's a Hank Mancini postage stamp out for those into
pop film tunes, and a Paul Robeson stamp for those into that mid-
century blend of African American Spirituals and Euro-classical for
which he and Marian Anderson were the primary representatives.

Winslow

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, IcemanLE@xxxx wrote:
He guests on Quincy Jones' "Q's Juke Joint", a bit of chromatic and a
bit of
singing.

This is a fabulous CD.

The Iceman