Re: Dennis Gruenling And Kim Wilson show review

You will not see this in a MIME-aware mail reader.

njbluesharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Went to see Dennis Gruenling and Kim Wilson Last night @ the Paramus pictureshow in NJ.

me too.  inconvenient night for me, miserable weather, couldn't get
anyone to go with me.  but boy am i glad i went anyway!

> This show was AWESOME!

it sure was.  beyond awesome, even.  it was *inspiring*.

> First Dennis Gruenling and Jump Time,
> Then Kim Wilson, Man this guy can Wail! Going to see Dennis and Kim
> just reconfirms that there  is a whole nother Level to strive for in playing
> Harmonica.

i remember thinking at one point that you could take any 5 second slice
of kim's set, and if i could play that, it'd be the best thing i'd ever played.
sigh.  someday.

> Both these guys just Dazzle you with all the different things
> they do to add spice to what they do.

at one point kim was playing some sonny boy II song.  it was amazing how well
he captured the style of this.  sonny boy must've been smiling down last night.

> They both played acoustically as well as amplified

by "acoustically", i assume you mean without the handheld mic,
when they played into the one on the mic stand.  i actually liked
that sound a lot more.  kim also played completely unamplified,
when he hopped off the stage and wandered up the aisle, playing
acoustic and singing while the band played very softly in the background.
it was beautiful.

> At one point Kim went on a Solo for what seemed to be more than 5 minutes
> while everyone in the band took a break except for the drummer, Kim just simply
> Held it together By playing outstanding Harp!

the encore was great, too.  no band, just The Man and his harp.  outstanding.

> Had a great time and wanted to mention this relatively new venue in Paramus, NJ
> ParamusPictureshow.com
> While I have no affiliation with this place
> I think that it is great to finally have a place like this in Bergen County
> It was great place and hope they continue to put on quality Entertainment

the place was really nice.  just a little local movie theater, holds maybe 300 people.
i'm used to schlepping into NYC for shows, and this was so much easier.  you could
even get popcorn.  how civilized!  i'll definitely go there again.

the *only* negative about the night was that the place wasn't packed.  i got there at
8:00 and got ticket #183.  maybe the back third of the place was empty.  these guys
deserve better.  as my brother observed once at a hot tuna concert, "they fill entire
stadiums with total crap, and *these* guys are playing in bars?"

what a world.

- ----
Garry Hodgson, Technology Consultant, AT&T Labs

Be happy for this moment.
This moment is your life.