Re: Charlie Musselwhite (and Tampa Blues Fest, too).

In a message dated 4/12/04 1:34:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ReidPlait@xxxxxxx writes:

> Somebody wrote:
> "I've always admired Charlie because of the fact that he is the only leading
> blues harmonica recording artist that goes out on a limb for his beliefs in
> "heart" being at the center of all kinds of music,"
>
> What a ridiculous statement!    There are  others that do this. Paul DeLay
> and Rick Estrin come to mind.

I'm the Somebody. You've also left off the end of my (koff) ridiculous
statement: "and bringing these influences to his blues recording/playing"

Paul has always played/recorded his own style of music, which is hard to
catagorize - ie, Record stores don't quite know which section to put him in
(except for the DeLay Does Chicago CD). I wouldn't catagorize him as a "Blues Man".

I've heard Rick (a "Blues Man) play w/Little Charlie live and on CD's, a few
harmonica blow off compilations and at the SPAH 99 doing more of his own thing
w/out Little Charlie - these have all been pretty basic blues.

Charlie, a "Blues Man", has brought in non-blues influences -Cuban musicians,
Blind Boys of Alabama, etc- onto his own recordings and has strayed from the
typical blues format more so than the others. This is risk taking and I'm glad
he does it.

The Iceman