Re: Dick Marris - Harmonica Romance

On April 7, David Fairweather writes:

"Can anyone tell me anything about this lp?  The cover shows Dick Marris
playing a very large harmonica with a blond bathing beauty perched on
one end.  What kind of harmonica is that?  Who was/is Dick Marris?"

Without having seen the jacket of this album, and without ever having
heard of "Dick Marris", I am going to venture a guess that I would stake
my life on, and almost guarantee the identity of the player.

If the above is true, the harmonica is a polyphonia, or known simply as
a "poly". A chromatic instrument with all holes in a single row -
half-steps adjacent to each other. Some models were all-blow, while
others were both blow and draw - same note for b&d.

 From the description of the cover art, I have a copy of the same album
by a player identified as Johnny Cadente, and I am confident that this
is yet another assumed name used by none other than your friend and mine
- - the infamous Danny Welton. The same album, using different cover art,
issued by various "super market" labels, and with the selection orders
rearranged, can be found under various names:

Danny Welton
Frank Gem
Johnny Cadente
Yama Yama Man
Harmonica Hot Shots
Boris Draper
The Cavaliers
Larry Faber
etc, etc

There is a variety of selections that mixed, matched, etc among all 14
LP albums that I have in my collection. So it's a safe bet that Dick
Marris can be added to the list. Check the list of tracks against your
copy, David.

Ref: http://www.bassharp.com/welton.htm

Danny