RE: Les Thompson & Toots CD

Here's the link:

http://www.parisjazzcorner.com/dis_list_prod.php3?
Identifiant=6a30b995b873228c120d6cc51b75206c&Couleur=bleu&page=1&prod=
1

I've heard the Les Thompson stuff, from a live concert. YOu can find
his stuff on old LPs but it's pretty rare. He's still around; some of
the cats in LA know him.

The Toots stuff - it's too bad they don't give more detail on the web
page. His first recording session was when he was touring with Benny
Goodman in 1950. There's a Zoots Sims reissue where Toots and Zoot
took a day off from Benny to record in a studio with some Swedish
musicians. There are also some airchecks of them playing with Benny,
including Toots' harmonica turn on Stardust - which is what prompted
Benny to hire him in the first place. The Belgian stuff I don;t know
about, unless it's that recording some oldtimers have - and for which
there is a songbook - where he recorded weird old non-bebop chestnuts
like Darktown Strutter's Ball.

Winslow

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ludo beckers"
<lazylew2@xxxx> wrote:

Although he gets only two lines in "Harmonicas, Harps and Heavy
Breathers",
I remembered the name Les Thompson from Kim Field's book.
Yesteday I picked up a new cd from Toots with his earliest recordings
(1950-51).
In smaller letters on the cover it also read: "Les Thompson"...
(California
'52)

If you like jazz on chromatic this is a great cd!!!
The Toots tunes are recorded in Sweden and Belgium with local
musicians.
Les is accompanied by ao Dexter Gordon, Wardell Gray and Chico
Hamilton.

I'm not sure it is available outside of  Europe, but here are the
data:
title is "Toots Blues" PJC 222013 (Paris Jazz Corner Productions)
or maybe find info on www.parisjazzcorner.com

(no commercial affiliations etc. whatsoever)
Ludo

- --- End forwarded message ---

- --
Harp-l is sponsored by SPAH, http://www.spah.org