re: Help with Valved bends

Howdy, there are two things that do a lot for me:
1.      I "work out" with the super 64, playing along with Bill Clarke or
Rod Piazza, toungeblocked octaves. It takes some air. After a while I
figured out that instead of a lot of pressure (blowing your brains out for
volume), it sounds oh so fine to really open my throat, increasing volume
instead of pressure. Then I started getting real control of bending from
somewhere else besides my tongue or embrouchre. I don't know where it's
happening exactly, but I envision pulling the bends from way down in the
gut. And the tone is awesome.

2.      I've been trying to get the (unvalved diatonic) blowbending down
with the t.b. I've done it twice I think, but just practicing it in a
concrete room with natural reverb (set on "12"), and listening for the
sweet tone spot of resonance tells me when my throat is really open. I've
almost got em, but the side effect is training the muscles and increased
control of drawbends with good tone. The whole thing revolves around that
resonance. The funny thing is that I do t.b. blowbends on the chromatic,
but can only do it on the diatonic with U-groove. I'll get em eventually.

There's a lot to read about resonance in the archives in posts by Ironman
Mike, that's where I caught the clue.

~now get back to practicing~
   kcmojoe