Loads and a Tube Amp

There's another kind of a load that you can put on a tube
amp to get the same sound at low volumes as you do when
cranked to full.  It connects between the amps output
transformer and the speaker.  The device is called a
"Power Soak", sometimes it's also called a "Guitar Amp
Power Attenuator".

What it basically does is load down the output of the amp.

I have seen these things fry the output transformer and
tubes before in bands I've played in.  I've played in bands
since the 60's so I've been around the block a few times.

To learn more about Power Soaks and Attenuator's see:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Scholz/Power_Soak-01.html
http://www.amptone.com/powerattenuatorfaq.htm

I think a much better idea is to use a good FET preamp
that has a gain and drive knob to get the tone and sustain
you want and not load down the output of your tube amp.
FET's can give you a similar tube like sound.  They also
provide you with a clean sound and do not hiss, like bacon
frying in a pan, like transistor preamps do.

One of the best sounding tube amps I've heard in my 37 years
of playing in bands is an old 1950-60's Supro Thunderbolt
(bass amp) it only has a volume and tone control, uses
two 6L6 output tubes with a 15 inch Jensen speaker.  An FET
preamp was connected between the Supro's input and a Les Paul
guitar.  This amp cost my buddy $40 in a flea market and it
sounded better than a brand new Mesa Boggie (that cost about
$1000) that was played by another guitarist in our band.
The Mesa Boggie owner was mad that the old Supro sounded
better than his expensive, new, fancy looking, amp with
a dozen controls, bells and whistles, etc...  My buddy
has been playing on his Supro for 30 years and said he'd
never give it up!  Wait until I tell him what the sell for
today on Ebay.

Music stores sell a Supro Thunderbolt for $500 to $1200
if you can find one.  But keep and eye out you may find
a deal on one someday.

Here's listing and photos of some Supro's that sold on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=3712573466&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=3715907642&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Jimmy Page (of Led Zeppelin) used a Supro Thunderbolt
on "Led Zeppelin I" and Jimi Hendrix used them too.
Later they switched to Marshalls for more volume.

You can read about Supro Tunderbolt's here:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Supro/Thunderbolt_115_Combo-01.html

Supro Thunderbolt Schematic:
http://acruhl.freeshell.org/mga/schematics/amps/66s6420.jpg

You can see a photo of a 1965 Supro Thunderbolt here:
http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/images/p_448_1.jpg
http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/index.cfm?method=site.product&product_id=448

For those with very deep pockets you can visit the
Mesa Boggie Home Page here:  http://www.mesaboogie.com

I thought I'd throw this out there for anyone interested
in a good tube amp.

Richard Axtman