CX12 tight slide action

Hi folks

I just got a CX12 and really like the shape and sound
of the thing.

But, the slide action is way too tight. I've tried lubing
with water, which doesn't really help. The action improves
when I remove the spring backplate and hold the comb in with
just light finger pressure. This leads me to suspect that
the problem is the backplate pushing the comb too hard
against the mouthpiece and jamming the slide.

I know lots of people swear by the CX12 and find it difficult
to believe it is normal for it to ship from the factory
with such a tight slide. Did I get one with bad tolerances?

Or is there something I can do to rectify this?

Cheers
Ric