Re: Amp Rectifiers

> > Can anyone tell me what a Rectifier does?  Does it matter
> > whether an amp has a tube rectifier or a solid-state rectifier?  Does
> > a tube rectifier give an amp a different sound than a solid-state
> > rectifier?  How important is it to the sound to have a tube rectifier?
> >  My Fender "Champ 12" has tube preamp and power stages, but a
> > solid-state rectifier.  Would it be possible or worthwhile having it
> > modified to tube rectifier?

> A rectifier converts AC voltage from the power supply to the DC voltage
that all amps,
> tube or SS, need internally. The only drawback I'm aware of with a SS
rectifier is that it
> starts producing the high tension DC immediately, whereas a tube rectifier
warms up
> slowly, so by the time it is producing the high tension DC, the amp tubes
are already
> warmed up. Having the high tension DC put across them before they are
warmed up is
> said to shorten tube life, but I don't know by how much.

Here are some pages that should help in understanding whether you "need" a
tube rectifier or not (the short answer is: many blues players say "yes you
do!").

http://www.harpamps.com/ampg/ampg1.html
http://www.harpamps.com/ampg/ampg4.html

Here's what tube amp Gerald Weber (Kendrick) says:

http://www.jt30.com/jt30page/weber/Guitar51.htm

Mr. Weber also has a method for adding a Tube Rectifier to an amp not
originally built with one.
- -Scorcher