Amp Rectifiers

> Can anyone tell me what a Rectifier does?  Does it matter
> whether an amp has a tube rectifier or a solid-state rectifier?  Does
> a tube rectifier give an amp a different sound than a solid-state
> rectifier?  How important is it to the sound to have a tube rectifier?
>  My Fender "Champ 12" has tube preamp and power stages, but a
> solid-state rectifier.  Would it be possible or worthwhile having it
> modified to tube rectifier?
A rectifier converts AC voltage from the power supply to the DC voltage that all amps,
tube or SS, need internally. The only drawback I'm aware of with a SS rectifier is that it
starts producing the high tension DC immediately, whereas a tube rectifier warms up
slowly, so by the time it is producing the high tension DC, the amp tubes are already
warmed up. Having the high tension DC put across them before they are warmed up is
said to shorten tube life, but I don't know by how much.

Perhaps someone else knows more about this.

- -Keith