Who Nose?

I have been having difficulties with my lungs filling on draws, and hit-or-miss bends. Last night I figured out why. If I am congested I do fine. But when the nasal highway is clear, I can't seem to keep air from drawing in through my nose.

I pinched my nose, and it was like magic -- bends and tone and... well, it was quite a difference.

I have no problem on blows, just draws. If I start a slow draw sans harp, then restrict the air flow further, I can hear and feel the air leak.

To complicate matters, I have a disorder (now mostly under control) that attacks muscles, and a few years ago it did a pretty darn good job of trashing my throat muscles to the point I could barely talk or swallow. If I drank water, it came out my nose as the muscles couldn't keep it from going where it shouldn't.

So I'm not sure if my problem with draws is "normal", or a fond reminder of the muscle damage. And either way, what can I do to help correct it?

Paul