Legal Income from Music--Writing and Performance

It looks like I'm going to make enough money this coming year to actually claim it  (between two different bands, solo performances, independent disc, and resale of instruments on e-bay).

Does anyone know of a source that describes the minimum I need to do to claim the income in a legal manner?   I could use a good step-by-step guide.

I am looking at getting a dba license this week.

Do you Yahoo!?