Re: Like to learn

Diatonic harmonicas were designed to play whole notes. People figured a =
long time ago that some of the notes can be bent allowing some of the =
sharps and flats to be played (and also some missing notes). You can =
bend some notes down 1 to 3 semi-tones. Its difficult to play blues or =
at least good blues without bends.

To start learning, you can learn with either a chromatic or a diatonic. =
Since you're a fan of jazz and classical, you may want to start with a =
Chromatic. I started with diatonics; after playing diatonics for about a =
year I  bought a Chromatic. Initially I found it was cool as what I had =
learned on the diatonic, I could play on the Chromatic (diatonic only =
tunes). But after a while I stopped playing it because it felt too =
impersonal because of its size or perhaps just because I had gotten so =
used to the diatonic. One day I will go back to it.
=20
About 20 years ago Howard Levy figured out techniques that allow missing =
notes to be played (overblows/overdraws). So now some people play =
diatonics chromatically. But this requires a lot of practice. If you =
want to play chromatically quickly, I suggest you learning with a Chro. =
If blues is mainly what you want, I would say go with the diatonic =
although I have heard great blues on a Chro.

Pierre.

 =20

  ----- Original Message -----=20