Re: Little Walter/Be-Bop

- --Apple-Mail-2--315902332

In that same book, one of Walter's drummers mentions Walter driving all=20=

over town with a record player in his car listening to Cannonball=20
Adderley, who he couldn't get enough of...

> From: =A0 Mojo Red < harplicks@xxxx >
> Date: =A0 Sun=A0Apr=A04,=A02004=A0 8:32 am
> Subject: =A0 Re: Little Walter/Be-Bop

> Johnny,
>
> Very interesting stuff indeed! You can really here
> Walter's swing and jazzy phrasing in his blues
> numbers, but just think how would have ripped up
> some of those awesome jazz heads.
>
> Boggles the mind with imagined possiblities.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Harpin' in Colorado,
> --Ken
>
> P.S. And thanks so much for backing this assertion
> up with your quote from Tony Glover's book. Very
> cool, man! Swing On!
>

> --- Aeskow@xxxx wrote:
> > The only specific reference that I've seen in
> > print RE Little Walter and
> > be-bop--or jazz in general--can be found in Tony
> > Glover's biography of him. At
> > one point, one of his part-time sub drummers--I
> > think it's Sam Lay,
> > actually--describes just how much was left OUT of
> > Walter's recorded legacy by the Chess
> > Brothers, who preferred to keep milking the Juke
> > money-cow...He talks about
> > hour-long jams on Lester Leaps In and other Young
> > masterpieces--always played at
> > Walter's insistence--that would, if heard now,
> > expand our whole vision of
> > Walter's genius. According to this account, part
> > of Walter's growing disaffection
> > with Chess, and creative frustration in general,
> > resulted from this refusal to
> > let him cut any jazz...and, of course, the mind
> > reels at the thought of what
> > may have been denied us...
> >
> > Johnny T
> > Mayfield Road Gang

- --Apple-Mail-2--315902332

In that same book, one of Walter's drummers mentions Walter driving
all over town with a record player in his car listening to Cannonball
Adderley, who he couldn't get enough of...

=
maller><smaller>=A0
</color>>

<bold>Date: </bold>=A0 Sun=A0Apr=A04,=A02004=A0 8:32 am=20

<bold>Subject: </bold>=A0 Re: Little Walter/Be-Bop=20

ADVERTISEMENT=20

=
r><smaller>Johnny,=20

Very interesting stuff indeed! You can really here=20

Walter's swing and jazzy phrasing in his blues=20

numbers, but just think how would have ripped up=20

some of those awesome jazz heads.=20

Boggles the mind with imagined possiblities.=20

Thanks!=20

Harpin' in Colorado,=20

- --Ken=20

P.S. And thanks so much for backing this assertion=20

up with your quote from Tony Glover's book. Very=20

cool, man! Swing On!=20

> The only specific reference that I've seen in=20

> print RE Little Walter and=20

> be-bop--or jazz in general--can be found in Tony=20

> Glover's biography of him. At=20

> one point, one of his part-time sub drummers--I=20

> think it's Sam Lay,=20

> actually--describes just how much was left OUT of=20

> Walter's recorded legacy by the Chess=20

> Brothers, who preferred to keep milking the Juke=20

> money-cow...He talks about=20

> hour-long jams on Lester Leaps In and other Young=20

> masterpieces--always played at=20

> Walter's insistence--that would, if heard now,=20

> expand our whole vision of=20

> Walter's genius. According to this account, part=20

> of Walter's growing disaffection=20

> with Chess, and creative frustration in general,=20

> resulted from this refusal to=20

> let him cut any jazz...and, of course, the mind=20

> reels at the thought of what=20

> may have been denied us...=20

> Johnny T=20

> Mayfield Road Gang=20