Walter (the diminutive)

I play Song for my Father and (quite frankly) don't see smallish Walter
doing it. Don't believe he would be a candidate for playing "Little
Sunflower" either. On the couple times when I DID hear him he was
anything but Jazz. Not saying he couldn't do it, but all things
considered, even if he DID have to do what Chess wanted on records, his
gigs could have allowed him to do differently. So why didn't he? Dunno.

  As for style, we hear a lot about Bee-Bop, Hard-Bop, Jazz, Jass (THE
original spelling), Dixieland, Delta, Soul, Rythm, Blues, Funk,
Rock-a-Billy and combinations of these, but I feel that trying to
pidgeon-hole a particular player into a narrow postal slot is difficult
if not impossible unless the writer/reporter had an INTIMATE
association with said person.

The problem with people who write books: They put their own twist on
things, even if unintentional. They interview people (because the
people they are writing about are dead). These interviews have a habit
of giving an impression one way or another, which smacks of "Legend". I
always consider the SOURCE of the info, as I have seen things get
muddled in the past.

Just about EVERYONE who has been mentioned (thus far) was an individual
and were (as it were) RENDITIONS of these various genres, and each with
their own unique personality adding the spice. All were/are great
musicians, when piecing together what (exactly) makes up a musician,
but to try for categories is a bit of a push.

  Every year at Buckeye & SPAH, there is a Jazz Club. Some of the guys
that show up are PHENOMINAL players. The music played is "Jazzified
POP", not Jass.                                Just my 35 Lire's
worth.....smo-joe