RE: Like to learn (Portnoy Masterclass)

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Garry Hodgson
<garry@xxxx> wrote:
>> while i think the masterclass is excellent, i think
>> it's a bit over the head of a beginner.

> huh. i've never heard that before. i'd be interested
> to hear what others think.

I'm an absolute newbie (4 wks). I am having zero trouble with the Portnoy
masterclass. Not over my head at all. I am deviating only in that I am
attempting to build equal skills in both the emphasized tongue-blocking, but
with pursing/lip-blocking as well. I can't say enough good things about the
course.

>>i think you'd be better
>> off starting with something like john gindick's book
and cd,

>i'm not saying gindick's book would be bad for
>beginners (i still read over the licks in there) but i
>certainly would prefer Portnoy's for any beginning
>level.

I also have the Gindick book and CD. I've very mixed feelings about this
one. His approach does not click well with me, and I find extracting the
useful information from the storybook to be an unneeded distraction. The CD
is indeed a useful item. But that brings forward another thing that I find
slightly confusing -- the CD and the book are somewhat loosely related to
each other in terms of the order of material presented.

It's a good product, I have found it helpful and well worth the purchase
price. But today, 4 weeks into it, I'm more comfortable with the Portnoy
material than the Gindick. And there is nothing stopping someone from
working both (as I am doing).

The obvious caveat is that as a beginner, I might not know what I'm missing
or what is being over/under emphasized, overlooked etc in any course I take.
(I'm trying to fill that gap with occasional lessons from the very talented
and knowledgable Alec Drachman)

Paul