RE: Solder on Reeds

Pete Knapton wrote:

>When soldering a reed, what do you use to remove the flux?
>I've found the flux leaves a  nasty tangent odor, especially if the harp's been sitting for some time.....
>It hits you in the back of the throat and leaves you wanting for cold beer.
>Any ideas on neutralising the flux?

Simple - don't use solder!

Long-time harp-lers will know what I have never been a fan of solder
on reeds, my preferred alternative is a mixture of epoxy resin and
stainless steel powder. It's easy to work when it is still soft, there
is no risk of damaging the reed with excess heat, it avoids the
problems of excess curving of the reed as the solder cools and
contracts, it doesn't corrode like solder and it when cured it is more
or less inert.

 -- Pat.